Friday, April 27, 2012

Road Trip Fever

If you know me at all, you know that I love adventure and one of my favorite types of adventure is going on a road trip. You might also know that I am pretty fearless when it comes to last minute driving countless hours so long as there is either a. a good destination, b. good company going with me, or c. something waiting to be brought home at the other end. In this case, it was all three. 


It started with this. Well, actually it started on a Friday afternoon while I was on my way home from a run and got a phone call, counting down the seconds to the above shown Ebay auction. That phone call ended with me dancing around on Cuming Street, shouting, "Yippee!! We won!!" 


A little over a day later found us like this. Me doing this... 


And Josh doing this... Just kidding. This was actually the only time in the 10 hour drive to Lone Grove, Oklahoma that this happened at all. We arrived right about 7 pm. When the man selling the bike found out we intended to take it all the way home that night (since we both had to work in the morning) he said we were crazy. Little did he know... 


Before the sun went down I saw a lot of this view right here. 


We had to stop every hundred miles or so to get gas, and of course, take some pictures of the gorgeous bike.  


Since I had the GPS, I got more of this view... 


Or this view... 


It turned out to be the coldest night we have had since like February. Josh had every piece of gear on and still froze. Let's just say, it was a very long night, especially for him trying not to freeze to death and stay awake. But, as he is kind of a beast, he not only survived but kept grinning the whole time. At this point (pictured above) we were almost 24 hours of being awake.  


And just when it seemed like we were never going to get home and the sun was never going to come up, we  found a little gas station outside of Saint Joseph to take a hour rest in. And wouldn't you know it, there was an IHOP right there. And, IHOP had coffee. Funny, after we downed that whole pot I suddenly felt like I could drive for another 10 hours no problem. :) 


I didn't have to though, we were home before lunch time. And here they are, ready for hundreds of thousands of miles of more adventure... 

1 comment:

  1. oh the coffee.....right there in front of everyone to see. get out the map and give emily the sharpie :)

    ReplyDelete