As I alluded in my previous post, I just got back from a simply phenomenal vacation in Washington. Allow me to spam you with my 42 best pictures and limited commentary.
The Salt Lake City airport isn't home to my fondest memories, seeing as all my flight delays have been there and the last time I traveled through I happened to be in the throes of influenza, but this time was my first time of actually seeing the lake. Wow...
Mom's house served as home base. And home to this gorgeous rhododendron.
The morning after I arrived Katie and I set off for worlds unknown, Olympic National Park.
On the way we realized we were driving right next to the ocean. This called for a quick detour, some splashing in the FRIGID water, and a little shell collecting.
Eventually we arrived in Hoh National Rainforest. I have wanted to see the rainforest since I first learned of its existence when I was 12. I was not disappointed.
I have never seen anything like it. Truly amazing and beyond words.
We got to the campground early enough to set up our tent and go on an evening hike. The evening sunlight shafting through the trees proved to be the best lighting for the forest.
Seriously though, if you ever get a chance you need to go see this place.
It is truly a magical place all to its own.
Everything in the forest is growing. This is an up-close picture of a fallen cedar. None of the growth here is over 2" tall, a sort of mini forest in the forest.
I was also fascinated by the 'nurselogs' or fallen trees that then became fertile ground for young trees.
After a night in the rainforest, we set out for the coast again in search of tidepools. On the way we stopped in Forks, where the infamous Twilight books and movies are set. While we were a little underwhelmed by Forks' main claim to fame (not being fans), we were pleased to discover they had wonderful coffee...
Fifteen minutes from the small town of Forks we discovered a new kind of paradise. The forest provided an enchanted campsite.
And 5 minutes away we discovered this. The untamed Northwest Coast. The pounding surf, piles of driftwood and rocky shoreline seemed like yet another planet.
After scoping out the territory for tidepooling, we went back to camp where Katie played girlscout with the fire and I had fun warming our dinner up in cans...
We got up early in the morning to go tidepooling. They said not to jump from rock to rock... Wonder why...
I don't know if these were good tidepools or bad tidepools, but for this Nebraska girl they were amazing.
Here I wished for Josh's waterproof phone case so I could capture the intense green color.
I wanted so badly to find one stranded on the beach and do my good deed and throw it back in the ocean. But all the seastars in Washington were too smart to need rescue it seemed.
Completely covered in mollusks. We didn't jump on this one either...
We hiked through the 'hole in the wall' and then took the overland route back to the regular beach. Eventually the tide came back in and we went back on the road.
On the north side of the park we ran across Lake Crescent. We promptly added it to the "we are coming back here" list...
Our northern route took us through Port Angeles, where I caught my first glimpse of Canada. You have to really look hard, but there are some Canadian mountains in the background there...
After our outdoors adventures, we returned to Seattle where I settled into playing tourist. I love Seattle deeply, partly because some people I love live there and partly because it is my favorite place ever to play tourist. As always, I had spectacular tour guides. One of the first things they did was satisfy my deep longing for seafood. Salmon chowder and crab sandwich anyone?
Seattle is such a good place to tourist. You can see things like rock bookends... (Wishlist, in case anyone was wondering).
It is also the only place I have ever seen shrunken heads...
Your dinner could look like someone's seashell collection.
You might get to watch someone make this...
With spray paint.
Or see the world's most creative kaleidoscopes.
Or be engulfed in spring. I mean flowers.
Or stumble upon a beautiful woman who also happens to be amazing and a really good friend.
Or ride a ferry to an island.
Or finally get a giant pretzel.
Or eat an artichoke for the first time ever.
On our last evening we took a little hike to the Puget Sound. It is only about 10 minutes from Mom and Richard's and the evening was gorgeous.
We had far more than our fair share of fun chasing poor innocent crabs.
I finally came to Seattle when the weather was perfect and I could enjoy the sound. I have never seen it so beautiful.
Sadly, all amazing things come to an end and I had to say goodbye to this wonderful lady and head back home. Fortunately, I was rather pining after my amazing man and my little house so the trip home was happy.
Until next time, Seattle!!
No comments:
Post a Comment