My
check register shows it being just a little over 3 months ago that I
bought my custom built baby named Eve and started on the adventure of
being a bike commuter in the great city of Omaha. I just finished 2
weeks of loaning my car out, and hence commuting only with Eve. Well,
I mean, I got rides from friends in their cars sometimes, and I got
to drive my car on Sunday afternoon, and this awesome guy I know has
a motorcycle and took me a few places, but I ran my errands and went
to work on my bike. With that behind me, I felt it was a good time to
write about a few things I have learned commuting in Omaha the past 3
months.
First,
let’s set the stage. The last time Emily rode a bike was probably
like 8 years ago, and it was on gravel roads with hills. Emily hated
it. She had to ride to work until she got her driver’s license. At
the time, she thought this was a horrible situation. This spring she
thanked her Dad for it. So, now we have Emily on a road bike (which
she has never ridden before) on the streets of Omaha (where she has
never lived before) competing with the traffic up the hills to work.
Fortunately for me, I have this amazing man who gave me three pieces
of advice. One: Stay off the sidewalks, they are suicidal. Two: Ride
an arms’ length away from the curb so cars can pass you, but they
have to notice you. Three: Be Aware! I was pretty sure there was more
to it than that, but considering the amount of bike commuter
experience he has compared to mine, I decided to try it. First thing
Emily has learned bike commuting in Omaha. Always take advice from
other bikers. Pretty much 100% of the time, if something bad (or
good) has happened, and they can warn you about it, it will help keep
you on the road. This applies to the simplicity of the three above
rules. Especially the “Be Aware!” rule. Second thing Emily
learned. Biking to work is a fabulous mood enhancer. When I ride 10
minutes to work as opposed to driving 5, I arrive cheerful and on a
little adrenaline high. I am not going to deny it, I am a little
addicted to the way it puts my day into perspective.
Third
thing Emily learned. Everyone likes hot pink bikes, and people in my
neighborhood are very happy to tell me how much they love it. I have
heard everything from, “DUDE!!!! That is a sweet ride!” to “Get
off the road you moron!” and everywhere in between. My pink bike
also helped earn me the love of all the children in my apartment
complex, who love to touch it, try the pink frog light, and ask me
all about it. Fourth thing Emily learned, don’t bite off more than
you can chew. This would refer to how much stuff she attempts to cram
into her backpack when biking to the grocery store. Let’s just say
it is really nice the store is only a few blocks from home…
Fifth
thing Emily learned (and last for this blog post, although there are
countless more), just because you are a biker, does not mean you are
the smallest thing on the road. Even though sitting between a semi
and a school bus at a stoplight might make you feel somewhat
vulnerable and puny, always remember there are pedestrians. Including
pedestrians who don’t look where they are going, pretend to walk,
stop, and at the last second walk out on the street in front of you.
These pedestrians can be very thankful for the awesome brakes my man
put on Eve’s front tire…



I think I'll stick to the gravel covered hills thank you - being between a semi and school bus on a bike...*shudders*
ReplyDeleteI got stuck behind a biker peddling sloooowly down the two lane street when there was a perfectly good sidewalk RIGHT THERE, slowing 7 cars down. And when I was finally able to pass this person, I said out loud, "Moron!! Use the sidewalk!!"
ReplyDelete:) :)